Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Tom Waits - One From the Heart
Check out this blog
Back in the High Life Again - Night On Earth
OK ... Sorry for my absense.
I'm back and I'll be posting regularly until my life gets crazy again.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Hendrix - Little Wing (Royal Albert Hall)
Moistboyz - Lazy & Cool
Why You Tube was invented!
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things 1961
Ennio Morricone - Metta Una Sera a Cena
The Faces With Keith Richards - I'd Rather Go Blind
Theater of a New Ear
"Sawbones," written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen.
Actors: Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brooke Smith, John Slattery, Marcia Gay Harden and John Goodman.
"Hope Leaves the Theater," written and directed by Charlie Kaufman.
Actors: Hope Davis, Peter Dinklage and Meryl Streep.
"Anomalisa," written and directed by Francis Fregoli.
Actors: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Tom Noonan.
Music Composed and Conducted by Carter Burwell
performed by The Parabola Ensemble:
Bohdan Hilash, woodwinds
Matt Herskowitz, keyboards
Kevin Kuhn, guitar
Jim Whitney, bass
Sycil Mathai, trumpet
Vessko Gelev, violin
Felix Fan, cello
John Ferrari, percussion
Marko Costanzo, foley artist
Sound by David Schnirmann (April/May 2005), Jody Elff (September 2005), and Dean Parker.
Design by Manuel Lutgenhorst.
Produced by Susan Feldman / Arts at St. Ann's.
First presented in April, 2005.
Friday, September 15, 2006
Sometimes Nothin' Can Be a Real Cool Hand
Cool Hand Luke
Just A Closer Walk With Thee
Egg Eating Contest
Criss-Crossing The Fence
Got My Mind Back
Ballad of Cool Hand Luke
Radio In Barracks
Symphonic Sketchs of Cool Hand Luke
Down Here On The Ground (Symphonic Version)
Saturday, September 09, 2006
Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys
1. Cape Cod Girls - Baby Gramps
2. Mingulay Boat Song - Thompson, Richard
3. My Son John - Reilly, John C.
4. Fire Down Below - Cave, Nick
5. Turkish Revelry - Wainwright, Loudon III
6. Bully In The Alley - Old Prunes
7. Cruel Ship's Captain - Ferry, Bryan
8. Dead Horse - Holcomb, Robin
9. Spanish Ladies - Frisell, Bill
10. High Barbary - Arthur, Joseph
11. Haul Away Joe - Thompson, Mark Anthony
12. Dan Dan - Thomas, David
13. Blood Red Roses - Sting
14. Sally Brown - Thompson, Teddy
15. Lowlands Away - Wainwright, Rufus & Kate McGarrigle
16. Baltimore Whores - Friday, Gavin
17. Rolling Sea - Carthy, Eliza
18. Haul On The Bowline - Neuwirth, Bob
19. Dying Sailor To His Shipmates - Bono
20. Bonnie Portmore - Williams, Lucinda
21. Mermaid - Carthy, Martin & The UK Group
22. Shenandoah - Greene, Richard & Jack Shit
23. Cry Of Ma - O'Hara, Mary Margaret
1. Boney - Jack Shit
2. Good Ship Venus - Wainwright, Loudon III
3. Long Time Ago - White Magic
4. Pinery Boy - Cave, Nick
5. Lowlands Low - Ferry, Bryan & Antony
6. One Spring Morning - Akron/Family
7. Hog Eye Man - Carthy, Martin & Family
8. Fiddler - Jay, Ricky & Richard Greene
9. Caroline And Her Young Sailor Bold - Corr, Andrea
10. Fathom The Bowl - Reilly, John C.
11. Drunken Sailor - Thomas, Dave
12. Farewell Nancy - Harcourt, Ed
13. Hanging Johnny - Ridgway, Stan
14. Old Man Of The Sea - Baby Gramps
15. Greenland Whale Fisheries - Parks, Van Dyke
16. Shallow Brown - Sting
17. Grey Funnel Line - Holland, Jolie
18. Drop Of Nelson's Blood - Cocker, Jarvis
19. Leave Her Johnny - Reed, Lou
20. Little Boy Billy - Steadman, Ralph
Enjoy ... Part 1
Enjoy ... Part 2
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr You Ready
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings: Classic Maritime Music (2004)
1. Roll, Alabama, Roll (The Alabama) -- The X-Seamen's Institute
2. Shenandoah -- The X-Seamen's Institute
3. Clear Away the Track and Let the Bullgine Run -- Sam Eskin
4. Greenland Whale Fisheries -- Stuart Gillespie
5. Paddy Doyle’s Boots -- Mills, Alan And The Shanty Men
6. The Black Ball Line -- The Foc'sle Singers
7. The Sloop John B. -- Dicey Doh Singers
8. Tommy's Gone to Hilo -- Stuart M. Frank
9. Lord Franklin -- The Gold Ring
10. The Handsome Cabin Boy -- Stuart Gillespie
11. Rio Grande -- The Foc'sle Singers
12. Run Come See -- The X-Seamen's Institute
13. Ten-Penny Bit [instrumental] -- Ellen Cohn
14. South Australia -- Stan Hugill
15. Haul Away Joe -- Leadbelly
16. Blood Red Roses -- Ewan MacColl Peggy Seeger AL Loyd and Chorus
17. All for Me Grog -- Louis Killen Jeff and Gerret Warner and Fud Benson
18. Haul On the Bowline -- The Foc'sle Singers
19. Bully In the Alley -- Morrigan
20. Chesapeake Born -- Tom And Mark Wisner
21. A Hundred Years On the Eastern Shore -- Ewan MacColl Peggy Seeger AL Loyd and Chorus
22. Dredgin' Is My Drudgery -- Tom And Mark Wisner
23. Liverpool Judies [instrumental] -- Stuart M. Frank
24. Santiano -- X-Seamen's Institute Louis Killen Stan Hugill
25. Reuben Ranzo -- The X-Seamen's Institute
26. The Girls Around Cape Horn -- Tom Goux & Jacek Sulanowski
27. Adieu, My Lovely Nancy -- Morrigan
28. The Dreadnaught -- Tom Sullivan
29. Married To a Mermaid -- Tom Goux & Jacek Sulanowski
30. Boney -- The X-Seamen's Institute
31. Homeward Bound • The Old Slipper Shoe [instrumental] -- Tom Sullivan
32. Homeward Bound -- Stuart M. Frank
Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic (1965)
This post is dedicated to Nice Guy Eddie since he posted Komeda's Rosemary's baby and for returning from vacation (finally)!!
Thanks NGE (NGE's Dust to Dust)
Krzysztof Komeda Quintet
1. Astigmatic 23:07
2. Kattorna 7:30
3. Svantetic 16:01
Tomasz Stanko: trumpet
Zbigniew Namyslowski: alto sax
Krzysztof Komeda: piano
Gunter Lenz: bass
Rune Carlson: drums
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Live in Manchester & Dublin
What happens when two Mexican metal heads go to Europe?
This isn't a joke.
Here is a live CD from Rodrigo y Gabriela, two amazing musicians who are trained in heavy metal. The acoustic result is truly beatiful.
(Sorry for the lapse in posts, I've been moving. I'll make it up to you guys, I promise.)
4. Mr Tang
7. Captain Casanova
Monday, July 24, 2006
Richard Hell "Is that Italian?"
Here is a single from the Neon Boys. A band comprised of the two people I feel started Punk music - Tom Verlaine & Richard Hell.
Monday, July 17, 2006
Here is a great interview with Coltrane.
Bernard Herrmann - Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
The original soundtrack recording of Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) is being released for the very first time on CD. This is not a re-recording, but the original music tracks in full, glorious stereophonic sound. The disc sounds spectacular. Every note, every detail can be heard and relished. Even Pat Boone's songs are included. You will experience thrills and chills as you descend towards the center of the earth with this musical masterpiece. Organs, harps, low woodwinds and brass convey the exhiliration of discovery, adventure, and wonderment. This is quintessential Bernard Herrmann and is a must for those that love his music. A 10 out of 10!
- Fox Fanfare (by Alfred Newman, 1953 version) (:14)
- Prelude (1:51)
- Explosions/The Message (1:33)
- The Faithful Heart/My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose ++ (3:45)
- The Mountain/The Crater (1:43)
- Abduction/The Count and Groom (2:03)
- Mountain/Sunrise/Rope/Torch/March (3:11)
- Sign/Sleep/False Arrows/Fall/Grotto (5:09)
- Twice As Tall * ++ (2:33)
- Lost/Bridge/Gas Cave/Vines (4:42)
- Saltslides/Pool/Dead Groom/The Gun (5:08)
- The Canyon/Cave Glow/Mushroom Forest (4:10)
- Underground Ocean/The Dimetroden's Attack (5:23)
- The Faithful Heart * ++ (4:31)
- Magnetic Storm/Whirpool/The Beach (2:55)
- The Duck/The Count's Death (3:42)
- The Lost City/Atlantis (3:47)
- Giant Chameleon/The Fight (1:47)
- Earthquake/The Shaft (2:16)
- Finale * (:30)
* not used in the film
++ music by James Van Heusen, lyrics by Sammy Cahn, sung by Pat Boone
Krysztof Komeda - Knife In Water
Here is nice jazz score for one of Polanski's early films. The score flows through sounding like Miles and Coltrane, other times just trying to sound like either or both. This is a great soundtrack - perfect for listening to while cooking.
The last two tracks are for two short films Polanksi did. They are on the Criterion DVD for Knife In Water.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Ennio Morricone - Desert Of The Tartars
No time to talk.